Duldig Studio museum and sculpture garden
92 Burke Rd, Malvern East VIC 3145, Australia
Now an artists’ house museum, Duldig Studio is the remarkable house and studio of émigré sculptor Karl Duldig and his artist wife Slawa Horowitz-Duldig. Karl, Slawa and daughter Eva lived here in the typical Californian bungalow style house for 30 years. Karl designed and built a studio in the grounds and set up a sculpture garden to display his works. In 1996 the house became a museum, with interiors and a studio preserved as they were during the artists’ lifetimes. Karl and Slawa’s modernist art and furnishings can be seen in the family rooms and the gallery extension which features changing exhibitions. The studio still contains Karl’s kiln, tools and work spanning his entire career, from Secessionist Vienna in the 1920s to modernist Melbourne. The house reflects the taste of a couple who trained as artists in Secessionist Vienna, but whose careers were interrupted by the upheaval of war. From Vienna, via Switzerland, Singapore and Tatura, they finally established themselves here in 1942 and were part of that group of émigré artists who introduced the principles of modernism to an often-reluctant Melbourne public. Guided tours of the Duldig Studio include a video and exploration of the collection and buildings and a viewing of the current exhibition, SLAWA modernist art and design.
Access: Pram accessible, Limited mobility
Note: No food or drink in family rooms or studio
This listing has no upcoming events