Join us for an exclusive Murder Squad party
5 - 7, Foregate St, Chester CH1 1HH, UK
Join us for an exclusive Murder Squad party – Q&A followed by a book signing, to celebrate their 20th year sponsored by Ann Cleeves at WHSmith Chester Friday 27th March from 6:30pm
Your ticket includes a £5 Redeemable voucher and the opportunity to chat with the Murder Squad, Ask Questions and win some prizes!
Murder Squad celebrates its 20th year in 2020. It is the first established, and longest-surviving self-promotion group of crime writers. The Squad comprises Ann Cleeves, Diamond Dagger winner and creator of the world bestselling book and TV series VERA and SHETLAND; Cath Staincliffe, creator of the Blue Murder book and TV series, and author of the Scott & Bailey books; Margaret Murphy, founder of Murder Squad and Dagger Award winning author; Kate Ellis, Dagger winning author; Martin Edwards, who has won multiple international awards for his non-fiction book on ‘Golden Age’ crime writers, including Agatha Christie; and Chris Simms.
Ann Cleeves : The Long Call and The Seagull
Martin Edwards : Gallows Court and Mortmain Hall
Kate Ellis : Dead Man's Lane and The Boy Who Lived With The Dead
Margaret Murphy / Ashley Dyer :The Cutting Room and Splinter in the Blood
Chris Simms : Marked Men and Loose Tongues
Cath Staincliffe : The Girl in the Green Dress and Fear of Falling
ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Ann Cleeves - Ann Cleeves is the award-winning author of the Vera and Shetland series, both successfully adapted for television. Her latest novel, The Long Call, introduces a new character, Matthew Venn, and made it into the Times and the New York Times best-seller lists.
Martin Edwards- Martin Edwards’ recent novel, Gallows Court, was nominated for both the 2019 eDunnit award for best crime novel and the CWA Historical Dagger. The sequel, Mortmain Hall, is published in April 2020. Martin was recently honoured with the CWA Dagger in the Library for his body of work and has received the Edgar, Agatha, H.R.F. Keating and Poirot awards, two Macavity awards, and the CWA Short Story Dagger. He is consultant to the British Library’s Crime Classics and President of the Detection Club. He has published eighteen novels including the Harry Devlin series and the Lake District Mysteries, nine non-fiction books, sixty short stories, and edited forty anthologies.
Kate Ellis - Kate Ellis was born in Liverpool and studied drama in Manchester. Described by The Times as ‘a beguiling author who interweaves past and present’ she has written twenty-four novels featuring black archaeology graduate, DI Wesley Peterson and five crime novels with a supernatural twist featuring DI Joe Plantagenet. Twice shortlisted for the CWA Short Story Dagger, Kate and was awarded the CWA Dagger in the Library in 2019. Her latest Wesley Peterson novel is The Burial Circle. The second novel in a new trilogy set in northwest England in the aftermath of the WWI, The Boy Who Lived with the Dead, is now available in paperback.
Margaret Murphy / Ashley Dyer - Ashley Dyer is the penname of Margaret Murphy, consulting with forensics expert and Vera and Shetland adviser, Helen Pepper. Margaret Murphy wrote nine psychological novels under her own name and a trilogy of forensic thrillers as A.D. Garrett, before morphing into Ashley Dyer to begin a new series of serial killer thrillers set in Liverpool and featuring detectives Greg Carver and Ruth Lake. The founder of Murder Squad, she is a former RLF Writing Fellow, a past Chair of the CWA, has been shortlisted for both the “First Blood” critics award and the CWA Dagger in the Library, and is a Short Story Dagger winner.
Chris Simms- Chris Simms has worked in airports, nightclubs and telesales centres. He now lives near Manchester, with his wife, four children and a scruffy little lurcher. Along with nominations for the Theakston’s Crime Novel of the Year award and Crime Writers’ Association Dagger awards (for his novels and short stories), Chris was selected by Waterstone’s as one of their ‘25 Authors For The Future’. According to The Bookseller, he writes with ‘intelligence and subtlety’. Alongside writing novels, Chris edits Case Files, an online magazine that profiles forthcoming work from members of the Crime Writers’ Association.
Cath Staincliffe - Cath Staincliffe is an award-winning novelist, radio playwright and creator of ITV’s hit series Blue Murder. Cath also writes the Scott & Bailey tie-in books. She has been shortlisted for the CWA New Blood Dagger, for the Dagger in the Library twice and won the Short Story Dagger in 2012. Cath’s latest titles are The Girl in the Green Dress, an investigation into the murder of a transgender teenager on her prom night, and Fear of Falling, a story of female friendship and the challenges of adopting a child who has had a traumatic early life.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
· This is a ticketed event. Your £5 redeemable ticket can be redeemed on the day of your visit, when presenting the voucher and purchasing a full priced murder squad author title
· The signing will take place at WHSmith Chester
· The event will begin from 6:30pm
· Early arrivals will be turned away. Anyone arriving to the store before 5:30pm will be asked to return at or after 5:30pm
· The event will be a Q&A followed by a book signing
· There isn't any allocated seating, seating will be on a first come, first served basis
· To avoid disappointment, we advise you not to arrive any later than the event start time
· Authors will be signing and dedicating any purchased books
· The Authors will pose for photographs. We recommend that you check your phones battery and storage beforehand to avoid disappointment
· There will not be an official photographer present at the event
· Drinks and refreshments will be available at the venue, subject to availability
· Latecomers may not be admitted until a suitable break in the performance
· You must have your ticket ready to scan on arrival
· No professional camera equipment will be allowed in the venue
· Please note the event may be filmed, as an attendee you consent to footage of you being used for promotional purposes
· The venue management reserves the right to refuse admission
· The venue management reserves the right to make essential changes to the published programme or casting
· Tickets cannot be resold or transferred and shall not be purchased or obtained from or through any person, commercial agent, company or otherwise than directly by the applicant from Ticketmaster UK Ltd. Any tickets advertised for sale will be void
· Management have the right to refuse entry or remove anyone who does not comply with these rules or who fails to follow reasonable instructions on the day
£5 Murder Squad Redeemable Ticket