Glen Eira Town Hall
Corner Glen Eira & Hawthorn Rd, Caulfield VIC 3162, VIC
Caulfield City Hall, Glen Eira & Hawthorn Rd, Caulfield VIC 3162, Australia
The former City of Caulfield (now City of Glen Eira) municipal offices, were built for the Borough of Caulfield in 1884 and were designed by Borough Surveyor Sydney Smith. At this time, the building also included a Court of Petty Sessions and a Post and Telegraph Office. The building has seen numerous changes since that time - the first hall was designed by Alexander Rankin and was completed in 1890. The building was redeveloped in the 1930s, when the present hall, foyer and portico were added, designed by architects Goldsmith and Jenkin. The community’s passion for the complex that saved it from demolition in 1974 and further additions were made in the 1980s and 1990s. The building complex is historically, aesthetically and socially significant. It is a prominent and imposing, classically derived structure. The remaining historical interior spaces include the entry foyer and staircase, the main hall, foyer and council chamber. The exterior includes the remains of the Sydney Smith design and the early 1930s addition of the clock tower and portico. It remains a centre of municipal and community life for the people of Glen Eira.
Special Note: Large bags, backpacks or prams are not permitted on the tour, limited cloak area will be available. People under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. You must remain with the group at all times during the tour.
This listing has no upcoming events