Accessing the Unbounded Embrace
1010 Center St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Exploring the Essence of Deep Connection that Underlies All Partner Dance.
Hello Santa Cruz! I am so thrilled to be visiting you once again to dance and connect.
A continually evolving holistic, embodiment practice, Cocréa seamlessly weaves the connected fluidity of blues fusion dance with:
• the organic expression of authentic movement
• concepts from contact improvisation
• skills and practices from navigating deep interpersonal relationships - romantic, platonic, polyamorous and otherwise
• deconstructing gender rolls
• exploration of the resolution and non-resolution of conflict through the lens of theater
• and a contemplative approach to life.
Whether you’re completely new to partner dance, have been dancing fusion for awhile, or have a completely different embodiment practice, this workshop is an opportunity to support you in taking your dance experience to a new level!
Cocréa = Collaborative, Organic Communication, Revolutionizing Embodied Awareness.
What is being offered: Cocréa is as much a path of personal development as it is a training ground to become a better dancer. This day-long playshop will be an exploration of embodiment, intimacy and refinement in listening - both with the self and others. We will embrace form and structure and deepen into a practice of presence with one another.Playing within the structures common to many of the world's social partner dances, dancers will learn tools to invite and allow an easeful flow to emerge through deep listening and responding in presence with the moment. Through meeting and joining energy, we emphasize connection, communication and creative expression between two humans within a community of others.
Themes we’ll play through:
• Polarity - the mutable energetics of lead and follow
• Change and Co-Creation
• Stretching into discomfort and uncertainty
• What energy best supports listening
What the attendee could learn/intention of the workshop:
• Core Stability & Balance• Lead-Follow-Neutral Dynamics
• Variable Frames of Connection
• Accessing Intuitive Movement
• Expanding Connection Points
• Activating Your ‘Spinaesthesia’
• The freedom of finding your unhinged goofball
Building on the foundational elements of social partner dance technique as our common language, Wren LaFeet's playful guidance teaches how to wield creative expression with consideration to another body and practice nuanced responsiveness to one another in improvisational, co-created dance. Cocréa is a gateway to accessing the body’s wisdom to deepening Self and relational attunement. Our intention is to explore form and play creatively from our heart, body and spirit, in full support and appreciation of ourselves and one another.
This workshop is accessible to movers of all experience levels.
Cocréa believes in providing low income access to those in need. Please only choose one the lower priced or free options if paying the full price would constitute a financial burden. Thank you!
1010 Center St
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Friday March 25th: 7pm-9:30pm
• FREE Intro Class and Cocréa Dance (Donations Welcome)
Saturday March 26th: 11am-4pm
• Embodied Consent
• Physics for the Dancing Body
• Suzuki Physical Theater work that Revolutionizes the Way You Move
• Child's Play
Sunday March 27th: 1:30pm-5pm
• Jedi Musicality ((or)) Becoming Sound
• Spirals, Revolution and Backbody Awareness Development
• Kintimacy: Breathing into Wholeness through Community
All are welcome. Wearing masks is absolutely welcome. UPDATE: Due to California's current updated requirements, negative COVID tests will no longer be required.
If you're not feeling well, even a little, please don't come! Please be in the mindset of care and do your best to be mindful of how you interact leading up to this event. Do your best to manage your exposure so we can create an inclusive and safer space.
WHAT TO BRING
Comfortable clothes to move in. Two pairs of socks. A water bottle. A snack/lunch to stay nourished.
A dancer in the Fusion social partner dance movement since it began in the early 2000s, Wren’s dancing helps define Fusion as an emergent dance form based in the spontaneous co-creation of new aesthetics. Fueled by his curiosity in spirituality, sexuality, global community, the natural world, relationships, and guided by his devotion to love and the idea of the Beloved, partner dance has served as the vehicle for his inquiry and understanding. He has inspired the formation of multiple fusion dance communities on the west coast of North America, and teaches partner dance internationally as a practice for mindful, authentic living, enlivening communities with his signature modality, Cocréa. His facilitation encourages individuals to create themselves as safer spaces for the embodiment of the full range of human expression. Promoting dance as medicine-- a spiritual salve for our modern ailments of disconnection and alienation-- his practice insists we trust our bodies with the music and our partner to catalyze elevating our whole being into higher vibrational states.
• BA in Drama and Dance, University of Washington
• 10 years experience offering movement and embodiment facilitation professionally
• Graduate of Embody More Love program, Do Good Things With Power, Zahava Griss
• Certified Attunement Therapy practitioner, Tristan Bray• Awake at Work Facilitator Training Graduate, Anakha Comen
• Certified Danyasa Inspired Yoga Instructor, Sofiah Thom
• Co-Creator of the Momentom Collective Green Residency
• Author in the published work, “Reinhabiting the Village”
• TEDxBend speaker, "Pioneering the New Renaissance through Movement"
• Featured Presenter: Abundant Leadership Retreats, Embodiment Conference, Body Intelligence Summit, Conscious Dancer Podcast, Beloved Festival (4 years), Oregon Country Fair (5 years)
This listing has no upcoming events
Low Income Ticket
Gen Admission Income Assist (Expires Monday, 3/14)